There is often flexibility in the operational conditions and requirements of any steam system. In order to optimize performance, the impacts of potential adjustments need to be understood individually and collectively. The Properties and Equipment Calculators allow you to input the metrics of your system, generate a list of detailed system specific steam properties, and test a variety of adjustments on individual equipment.
The accompanying Steam System Modeler allows you to create up to a 3-pressure-header basic model of your current steam system. A second model can then be created by adjusting a series of characteristics simulating technical or input changes. This allows you to see how each component and adjustment impacts the others and what changes may be most beneficial to increasing the overall efficiency and stability of the system. An interactive diagram is provided for each model and includes comprehensive steam properties and operational details for clarity and ease of use.
Both the modeler and the calculators were developed to provide accurate results for the specific cases they represent and do not include a variety of variables that can and do impact any given steam system. Any final decisions should be made by appropriately qualified personnel and, if necessary, be based upon the use of more extensive analytical tools that can be more specifically tailored to your unique system.
The Steam System Calculators and Modeler within this tool were designed for manufacturing plant personnel who are interested in improving steam system efficiency in their manufacturing facilities.
Depending on which component of the tool you are using, one or more of the following forms of input information will be required:
- Specific Enthalpy
- Specific Entropy
- Saturated Quality
- Combustion Efficiency (%)
- Generator Efficiency (%)
- Isentropic Efficiency (%)
- Blowdown Rate (%)
- Deaerator Vent Rate (%)
- Heat Loss (%)
- Condensate Return (%)
- Steam Mass Flow
- Feedwater Mass Flow
- Initial HP Steam Usage
- Initial HP Energy Usage
Users may customize any units by system or individually at any time.
Based on input, each calculator will return detailed results of all included steam properties and operational conditions as well as an explanatory diagram. The equipment calculators will also return a summary of specific calculation details and a list of the assumptions used in making the calculations.
The Steam System Modeler allows the user to create an alternate model, and it returns a detailed comparison of any differences in energy usage and associated costs.
The Steam System Calculators and Modeler are fully web-based and use HTML5. Please take note of the following relevant information:
- You must be connected to the Internet
- Tool works with almost any device (PC, Mac, Linux, mobile, tablet, etc.)
- Tool works with any operating system (Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android, Linux, etc.)
- Tool requires the current version of any major browser:
- Tool does not include any Flash or Java
- Steam System Tool Suite: Three separate software tools to analyze energy use and savings opportunities in industrial steam systems
- Project Opportunities Tracker: Used in conjunction with the Steam System Calculators and Modeler tool (among others), this tool allows users to sort, edit, and save their recommendations from assessments and tools in one place
- Steam/Tracker Import How-To: Documentation on how-to import Steam cases into the Project Opportunities Tracker
- SSMT Tutorials: The SSMT Awareness Module will walk you through each property and equipment calculator providing users a basic understanding of the new Steam System Modeler Tool. You can find all seventeen tutorial segments on the DOE YouTube page.